Change Request improvements
In this week's update, the focus was on finalising the change request improvements from the weeks before and planning towards the next milestone.
The change request process on FrontierNav should now be intuitive enough that anyone can take ownership of specific wikis without me being involved. So, if you're interested, let me know. There's some work remaining around giving people admin permissions, but I'll prioritise that when there's interest.
- Change requests now support discussions and likes.
- Change requests now show which data or parent change request it was created from.
- Merged change requests now show which data it was merged into and what the resulting data was.
- Merged and closed change requests now support viewing attachments and comparisons.
- Loading change requests now lets you branch off that request and continue adding changes as a separate child change request.
- Merging change requests has been streamlined into a single button click.
As per the plans for 2023, for the next milestone I'll be introducing wiki articles. The work here was partially started a few years ago so it should be relatively simple. Once that's done, I can finally work on improving FrontierNav's layout system, especially on mobile.
Of course, I'll continue improving existing features like the maps, tables and completion tracking too as needed. So if you have any suggestions, let me know.
Beyond those plans, FrontierNav is at a stage now where it's so large that I'll need to spend some time formalising workflows and automating more tests. It'll also benefit from more eyes and hands to improve its wide range of features. Which is why I've started organising the project towards becoming open source again, this time with more clear intent. This will also help push forward decentralisation efforts where multiple instances of FrontierNav "sites" can communicate and share information with each other rather than having a single "frontiernav.net" hosting everything.
- Various bug fixes and improvements to page titles. Titles are now consistent with what's on the page.
- Fixed incorrect favicons being shown when starting FrontierNav on a specific wiki, then switching to a different wiki.
- Removed "Requests" link in "My changes" sidebar. Use the "Changes" link in the main navigation instead.
- Fixed card grid layout spacing and sizing behaviour.
- Fixed data table scrolling going out of sync between left and right sides.
- Changed monospace font for better legibility.
Check out the current plans for 2023. To help drive FrontierNav, don't forget to share your feedback and suggestions.
Thanks for reading.