FrontierNav Update: 22 January 2023
Plans for 2023
It's a new year, so I thought I'd make some room here to share some of the larger pieces I'm working on or planning to some time this year, in no particular order. This doesn't include improving existing features like maps and tables which is always an on-going, iterative process.
- Wiki view for long-form text content.
- Broaden potential contributors. Not everyone wants to think about organising data tables, some want to contribute text like a wiki which can be tidied up into Data Tables later.
- When people land on a page from a search engine like Google, they don't really see much and may not understand what FrontierNav provides. A familiar text-centric layout may help with that.
- Improved smartphone experience.
- Best practices on smartphones have changed and the current UI is showing its age. It's a bit too fiddly, especially with how the sidebar behaves.
- Streamlined completion tracking.
- There are multiple features related to completion tracking like adding games to a personal library, marking things as "Complete", creating lists and creating map notes. These features can be combined into a single concept and be expanded on together.
- Improved Change Request views.
- More people are contributing now so it's important to tidy this up and make the experience more friendly and intuitive.
- Improved social features.
- Having a visible community would open up more ways for people to contribute, help each other out and stick around.
- Currently "Discussions" are off to the side. I have some rough ideas to make it optionally more integral.
- Spun up secondary server for backups and fallback.
- This server is more powerful than the current one, I'll be switching it to primary some time soon.
- Finished migrating remaining UI icons from Font Awesome to Tabler Icons.
- Removed "(You)" indicators in Discussions and Change Requests to reduce clutter.
- Elden Ring: Added initial maps and data.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Added various rest spots, landmarks and secret areas to maps. (@Glitchy_neko#bPek)
- Minecraft: Content updates (@roadrunnerto#IlHu)
Thanks for reading.