FrontierNav Weekly: 31 August 2020
- Entity Types can now be created through Universal Search.
- Markdown rendering now supports links.
- "About" section in profiles now supports Markdown.
- Discussions can now be deleted by their authors.
- Right now, discussions with replies cannot be deleted to avoid loose references, but this process will be improved upon.
- Renamed any visible mentions for "Posts" to "Discussions" as posts are used for a range of features (lists, guides, etc.)
- Renamed "Merge Requests" to "Change Requests" so that it's clear what it is for people who aren't programmers.
- The code branch icon has also been changed to a common edit icon (pencil).
- "Description" and "Notes" properties are no longer special-cased. They're handled like any other property.
- Fixed "Create Entity / Entity Type" options showing up in search at the homepage where they don't work.
- Various optimisations to sidebar rendering.
- Various interface layout and consistency fixes.
- Various build process optimisations leading to slightly smaller download sizes.
- Streamlined monthly backup process.
- Tidied up @frontiernav/scripts.
- Added Lappy's Ultra Quiz guide (work in progress, see below).
The Witcher 3
- Started adding map locations for Kaer Morhen.
Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Added a couple of missing landmarks in NLA.
Thank you to this month's patrons!
Michael Rademakers, cd, Sebastian Tasto, Chuang Sing Kee, 777, Aloftheabove, Roadrunnerto, Nightshade, Mario Carmona, Hex, Pussel W, yeili, Ghil and 2 anonymous patrons.
If you would like to support FrontierNav please consider donating on Patreon. Doing so helps fund development and keep the project going. Thank you.
Community Guides Progress
Going through Xenoblade, Witcher 3, Astral Chain and Animal Crossing gave me a good range of use cases to design for. I've got some mock-ups now of how guides will work. Not just text guides, but also video guides. In a way, they're the same thing. Text goes top to bottom line-by-line and videos go left to right frame-by-frame.
Unlike text guides, video guides can't easily be searched. So it may be more interesting to augment them with FrontierNav's data to make them more searchable. However, text guides will help progress FrontierNav's wiki-like features so I'll continue focusing on that.
The idea is to have a consistent interface regardless of what format the guide is in. It'd be easier to explain if I could share my mock ups but they're in a scrapbook which isn't really shareable. Another thing to think about I guess.
After trying the text guide creation process with various games, I decided to use Astral Chain's Lappy Quiz as the main test driver. Being a quiz, it's simple and has references to a ton of other entities which will help test entity lookups and navigation. It's also searched a lot in Google so hopefully it'll help people out. It's basic but I'll be enhancing it with features that can then be applied to more complicated guides.
Thanks for reading.