FrontierNav Update (2016-03-23)
Mobile & WiiU improvements
Mainly focused on fixing various UX and technical issues on mobile and WiiU browsers as there's substantial traffic coming from those devices. WiiU performance isn't great but it can't be helped, it is useable now at the least.
I didn't spend much time on these changes so the UX can be a bit clunky, the main aim was just getting feature parity with the desktop/larger view.
- Fixed navigation controls squashing up on small width devices.
- Allow toggling sidebar without having to navigate away from the current selection.
- Attached sidebar controls to the top so you don't need to keep scrolling up to access controls
- Reorganised navigation controls in order of what is most used.
- WiiU improvements
- Fixed Collectible Areas view freezing the map.
- Fixed CSS background gradients not working by using fallback colors.
Outstanding Issues on iOS Safari:
There's only one notable problem at the moment. The browser navigation controls (sharing, url, back/forward, bookmark, etc.) don't hide themselves. This means there's less screen space for the app. Not much I can do about this as the Safari browser doesn't seem to understand that some pages want to be fullscreen.
Outstanding Issues on the WiiU Browser:
Due to the dated browser the following issues won't be fixed:
- HTTPS certificate isn't recognised. Ignore the warning, there's no sensitive details on the app yet anyway outside of analytics.
- CSS Animations don't work. This includes the pulsing indicator for locations and rotating lines around areas. Everything is still useable though, just not as pretty.
- Various CSS Transformations used to create some shapes like the locations markers. Again, not a huge deal.
- Performance issues. The WiiU isn't powerful enough and there doesn't seem to be any hardware acceleration. This will get worse as I add the Segment UI which uses WebGL. At best, I can only disable features that cause heavy performance issues.